Thursday, September 27, 2007

Married to my Ideal

I was reading a book a few weeks ago that presented an interesting idea. The basic premise of this idea was that people are attracted to members of the opposite sex who ultimately reflect their inner ideals. A person who has high standards, and I took this to mean ideas on religion, education, ethics, work quality etc., could no more be with someone with low standards than a fish could love a bird. People can fool themselves and others for a while, but eventually they will return to someone who is like them. This idea may not be new to anyone else, but I was struck with this idea; this means that essentially, I reflect the type of person my husband is! This is actually a great compliment to me because I respect my husband and deep down wonder if maybe he could have done better. But if this idea is true, then the fact that our marriage is so happy is a result of our similar standards and this can apply to all happy marriages. Does anyone else have any ideas about this? Am I way off in left field or is this a big duh to everyone?

3 comments:

Cat said...

What book was it that you read this in? I think it is true to a certain extent- you marry someone that you hope shares the same interests, goals, and ideals, but you also marry because your spouse may embody your ideals better than you do, if that makes sense. What you lack, your spouse makes up for, and vice versa. I think that is one of the beauties of marriage- two parts that make a whole.

James said...

I read about it in Atlas Shrugged. I think in some areas that the spouse can make up for small discrepancies, but I don't think that people can really be happy together if one person is religious while the other is not, and one person in a marriage can't be happy if their spouse is happy doing as little as possible at their job if they believe that a person should work to the best of their ability. Does that make sense? Ayn Rand put it much better than I have. If you want the whole scoop, read her book.

James said...
This comment has been removed by the author.