Wednesday, October 31, 2007

How Do You Say "I Love You"?

When Chris and I got married, we received some books as wedding presents, as I'm sure most of you young couples did. One of the books we received was a book called Then Comes Marriage by Mark D. Ogletree and Douglas E Brinley. Being new to the marriage scene, and to the couples scene as well, I read through looking for some good advice on how to be the best little wife ever. While I may not have won that title by any stretch of the imagination, I did read an interesting chapter about the language of love. The book asserts that there are five different love languages and if you can discover which one best matches your spouse, you can use that method often to let your spouse know that you love and appreciate them. These five love languages are:

Words of Affirmation
Quality Time
Gifts
Acts of Service
Physical Touch

I had never thought of this before, but it makes perfect sense to me. I can point out a different member of my family who are the physical representations of each of these love languages. I wish I could say that this was helpful in my dealings with Chris, but he's so very mellow and seems to like most of these equally that I can't tell which he prefers, and I flat out asked him which he likes and he gave me a shrug and said "I don't know". Of course that could be his subtle way of saying "dear, I'm a dude, and we don't talk about our feelings", so I didn't press him. I would be interested to hear if anyone agrees with this notion and if they know which one they prefer. I myself actually prefer three all at once, but I know that Chris reads this every so often so I'm not going put it up there and make him figure it out all by himself. That's my subtle way of saying "so there ha ha ha".

2 comments:

Erica said...

I think that I like all of these. I just need constant love!! Hahah! I loved this post, it really made me think!! Thankes Jamie!

Cat said...

I think there is definitely some truth to the different languages of love. I know i really need words of appreciation. I need to read, " The 5 languages of love." This got me thinking!!